12.22.2009

Merry Christmas, Decemberists = Last Band of 2009

A note from your blog leader/commissioner/czar/whatever you call me:
Decemberists week has officially been extended and will now last through the end of 2009 (Dec. 21-Jan. 1), due to busy Christmas schedules and holiday cheer.
Those of you who want to take a break from listening to the band and have a hey day with Bing Crosby and his bunch, or even just some quiet family time, go right ahead. Feel free even to post about your favorite Christmas music (optional) on the blog's Facebook page.
But don't forget to get back in the swing of things afterward because as many of you have found out, this band isn't exactly easy to wrap your mind around with just a quick listen.
Those of you, on the other hand, who have already started listening and who are almost ready to post, you may do so as soon as you wish. And if you've already had your fill of holiday tunes, consider it a vacation week or a head start for those of you that are geared up for the New Year.
Discussions should be posted by Jan. 1 (no later this week since we're already extending it) and we will continue with Thievery Corporation on Jan. 2.
The schedule, which as of yesterday was updated through I believe Feb. 2011, will probably be off for a while because it took hours to fill in the first time. To avoid this happening a second time, I will be keeping private lists from those of you who have weeks planned out in advance and updating at most 2 weeks at a time from each person. Or you can keep the list yourself and e-mail me 2 weeks at a time, whatever is easiest. That way we can change picks more freely.
If any of you want to suggest further changes to how we do things since we're starting our first full year - i.e. allowing public comment, adding another person into the rotation, etc., comment below and they can be up for discussion.
In the mean time, have a wonderful Christmas :)
Sincerely,
Lauranette

6 comments:

  1. I'd like to bring week numbering up for discussion since we're starting a new year.

    If we restart numbering, we will be able to keep track of the year's progress in real time more easily. May I suggest (i.e.)

    I don't know how we might do this if it sounds interesting, or we can just keep the same and continue on with Week 17 on Jan. 1. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should probably also change our blog banner to artists we've actually done. Everyone let me know which artist you've done that you'd want on the banner.

    I pick the Flaming Lips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could really care less how things are numbered. If you want that "real-time" feel to it, then perhaps you label Thievery as week 2-1, where 2= year 2, 1 = week 1. Then Justin's pick will be 2-2.

    As far as submitting groups, is it possible to have everyone submit at least their next group after their week. I.E. I have no idea which groups to try and acquire albums from for Justin and David's next artists. We try and request them from our library so that we can burn them for our trips and for listening in the car.

    For the banner, I pick Thrice's Vheissu.

    As for Christmas music, my favorite 'standards' are Carol of the Bells and Sleigh Ride. I also enjoy the chipmunks song and the hippo song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Thomas' idea of the year/week labelling. Christmas music comes down to three artists for me: Vince Guaraldi, Nat King Cole, and Bing Crosby. Vince Guaraldi gives me my love of piano jazz mixed in with Peanuts memories, Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song" is THE greatest X-mas song ever, and Bing's croon soothes you like a nice glass of egg nog. I would like to nominate Herbie Hancock's Headhunters album for the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going with Justin on the Christmas music selections, I would also have to add in some Andy Williams. He really does get me pumped up for Christmas. Nat King Cole's the Christmas song is my very favorite Christmas song as well. My banner artist will be Alexi Murdoch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little late cuz I've been sick, my favorite Christmas songs are "Jingle Bell Rock," Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" and John Lennon's "Happy Xmas (War is Over)." Unfortunately I did not hear these songs this year. Hope you all had a good holiday though!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep discussion civil. We reserve the right to remove obscene or otherwise inappropriate comments.