12.30.2010

Beth's Top 11 Songs of 2010


11) Lady Antebellum – Need you now –I know what you are thinking, “NO not that song.” Well here is the deal, while I am not a fan of country music there is something about this song that really draws me in. Anytime I hear it on the radio I have to listen to it, and I think it is very well done. Kudos to Lady Antebellum for making country music much more tolerable.
10) Sade – Soldier of Love- Everyone knows Sade as the person who sings “Smooth Operator.” Well let me tell you, she lives up to her sultry title in this track. I bought the album and I was very pleased with it. However, this track is the undeniable standout. It is the perfect music for “getting in the mood” and it’s worldly feel is captivating.
9) Ray Lamontagne – Repo Man – I was pretty unsure of what this album was going to be like when I saw that Ray was collaborating with the Pariah Dogs. Of course I still bought the album and was not disappointed in the least. Anyone who has not heard the album but knows Ray’s work should definitely give it a listen. This song is the first track and immediately draws you in. It is so upbeat and fun, and Ray’s voice is stellar.

8)Local Natives – Sun Hands – This has become one of my new favorite groups. I love the organic feel to their music, and you can’t help but get swept up in their songs. Sun Hands in particular is very catchy and makes you want to get up and dance. I love the harmonizing, and the fact that each member of the band is a true standout.

7)Ray Lamontagne – New York City’s Killing Me – This is Ray at his best if you ask me. It has a country/Blues feel to it, and Rays voice fits along perfectly with the beautiful steel guitar. It is a great reflection song, and always has a way of putting me in a better place.

6) The Beach House- A Walk in the Park – I was just introduced to Beach House this year, and at first I was a little put off by Victoria Legrand’s voice. It is so deep and the only voice I could really compare it to would be like Stevie Nicks. However upon repeat listening I grew to love it more and more. This track in particular has an almost carnival feel to it and Victoria is forced to meet some higher octaves only proving that she is very talented.

5) The Roots – How I got over it – I believe I first heard this album over at Laura and David’s house while we were all hanging out in the basement. I immediately was drawn in by the album, and this song in particular. While I know there are plenty of great songs on the album, this is my standout. I could play this song on repeat for hours, especially when I am in need of a pickup. It’s so upbeat, and has an almost 70’s soul feel to it.

4)The Beach House- 10 mile Stereo – My favorite track from the “Teen Dream” album. It starts off with such a beautiful guitar intro and I love how the tempo just builds and builds as the song progresses. I watched this song live on Conan, and was pleasantly surprised at the goose bumps that erupted on my arm. Whether live or not this song is beautiful and gets to me.

3)The National – Conversation 16 – I can’t thank David enough for introducing me to The National. “High Violet” would probably be my album of the year if I had to choose. This is another artist who I was put off by at first, but slowly grew to love. Matt’s voice is so unlike anything else out there and can take a few listens to get used to. I also had no idea that such talent could come out of Cincinnati. There sound is so superior, and especially on Conversation 16 I love how sophisticated the song comes off, even with lyrics like “I was afraid I’d eat your brains.” True genius!

2)The National – England - There are so many great tracks on High Violet but for some reason “England” has always been my favorite track. Perhaps it is my love for the European Culture but whenever I hear this song I can almost picture myself walking along the rainy streets of England. This song has an almost epic feel to me, and I can’t help but fall in love with the band over and over again when I hear it

1) Local Natives – Wide Eyes – While the National may be my album of the year, Local Natives win my pick for song of the year. I can’t imagine a time when I would not love this song, or not want to hear it. I love the repeating guitar riff, and then of course the harmonies are superb. I am at a loss for words when it comes down to it which just goes to show that any words I could use do not show the song any justice.

P.S. I have not been able to listen to the new Kanye album, but I am sure if I had some of his music would have also made my list. Although I only chose a handful of artists, it just goes to show that these artists in particular had something extraordinary about them for me, and I look forward to what they will come out with next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep discussion civil. We reserve the right to remove obscene or otherwise inappropriate comments.