12.30.2010

Justin's Favorite Albums of 2010


There is no doubt that this year has been tremendous for music lovers. It has not been hard to find an album that has consumed me for weeks or even months at a time throughout this year. The internet is a blessing for those like myself and David who actively search out new music; there is so much great stuff that is begging to be heard, you just have to dig and search a little for it. I guess I'm the resident hip-hop head so I've decided to break up my "best albums lists" into hip-hop and everything else. The reason I make these lists are in hopes that you check these artists out and find something you like, there is truly something for everybody in here.




#12 Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here

This master poet gave us a brief but powerful album that found his words being freed over cold, electronic landscapes and even Kanye West beats. His ability to paint a portrait of stark reality and convey it so genuinely is unmatched.

Track you should listen to - Me and the Devil




#11 John Legend & The Roots - Wake Up!

Covering the music of Marvin Gaye, Donny Hathaway and Bill Withers is a daunting task; John Legend and The Roots make it sound so easy. The songs and subject matter are timeless and ,together, these students of music brought them to a new generation who are going through their own unique struggles.

Track you should listen to - I Can't Write Left Handed



#10 MGMT - Congratulations

This is such a fun and rewarding album to listen to front to back. MGMT is one of a dozen current artists that "get it". They effortlessly explore psychedelic, punk, synth-pop, and rock without letting their songs wander too far. Honestly, I feel this is the music the Beatles would be making if they were contemporary artists. Sit down one afternoon and let this album consume you. MGMT only have two full-length LP's and they are two extremely impressive efforts.


Track you should listen to - Siberian Breaks



#9 Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh

The Queen of neo-soul
proved why she wears the crown with this collection of fun and beautiful love songs. Classic Erykah!

Track you should listen to - Window Seat


#8 Tame Impala - Innerspeaker

The fuzzy beauty of this album immediately made me draw comparisons to another one of my favorites, The Flaming Lips. Then I saw that that longtime Lips collaborator Dave Fridmann produced this album and the dots were connected. Psych-rock is alive and well, and in great hands.

Track you should listen to - Jeremy's Storm




#7 Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid

Forget being in a class of her own, she's in her own galaxy. This sexy, dance, r&b, soul, funk opera is
a brave, genre breaking tour de force. It's very Prince but it's also equally influenced by Dionne Warwick and Lauryn Hill. Her vocal range and control is intimidating and I'm in a perpetual state of awe when listening to this album. The fact that more people don't know about her is truly a shame.

Track you should listen to - Sir Greendown



#6 Beach House - Teen Dream

This was the album that made me a fan. Their previous efforts left a lot to be desired, but the haunting, lush, and graceful accompaniment along with Victoria's celestial voice puts you in a trance that you never want to escape. Each track sucks you in a little deeper, painfully beautiful at times, a real triumph.

Track you should listen to - 10 Mile Stereo




#5 Local Natives - Gorilla Manor

Hands down, my favorite new band of 2010. Their harmonies are triumphant and evoke a true emotional connec
tion with the listener. Watching them perform this summer solidified them as the real deal; they are convicted and endearing musicians whose passion comes through in their lyrics. Rooted in harmonious folk, they dance around post-punk and afro-beat and the results are something special.

Track you should listen to - Wide Eyes



#4 Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Storytelling at it's finest. These disciples of Springsteen are the brightest hope for modern rock. Win Butler and Co. take you on a sometimes uncomfortable ride as adolescence and awkward growing pains are fleshed out in churning rock ballads. I think this albums holds its own with their debut Funeral.

Track you should listen to - The Suburbs



#3 Toro Y Moi - Causers of This

This was THE summer album for me. Helping to usher in Chillwave music was this splashy, synthy, nostalgic, 80's influenced LP. Chaz Budnick spills his broken heart out all over this album and we reap the benefits.
The glitchy keyboards with programmed beats along with Chaz's lyrics create a bubble of easygoing vulnerability that is conducive to summer joyriding. Zone out music, at its finest!

Track you should listen to - Thanks Vision



#2 Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

95% of people don't get this album or this music, but I don't care because I do. Fly Lo is pushing jazz music into space. His experimentation with heavy bass and electronics creates this cosmic, futuristic rollercoaster that stays on the track but whips you around sharp corners. At times the vibe is very hypnotic; he has hip hop tendencies that make it hard for you not to nod your head. I honestly don't feel this music will be appreciated for a few more decades, he is way ahead of the curve.

Track you should listen to - Recoiled





#1 The National - High Violet

Within the past year, this band has worked its way into my heart and become one of my favorites of all time. They have a knack for constructing brilliant songs around Matt's lyrics that are drenched in alcohol and self-deprecation. The stories are biting and depict not only internal struggles, but draw out the truths behind friends and lovers and the motivations behind their actions. This is music I could never appreciate as a teenager or even a young twentysomething; this music is crafted specifically for those who are willing to sit down with it and let it get underneath their skin.

Track to listen to - Terrible Love


My favorite hip hop albums of 2010 are up next.

1 comment:

  1. I have to think The National is the consensus Music Togetherness artist of the year. They made it into 3 of our top 10’s and I find it remarkable there are 4 different songs in our favorites.

    That being said, I am obviously familiar with the National and Beth has played Local Natives and Beach House quite a bit, so I am familiar with them as well. I do concur with their selections by the way. For the rest of them, I doubt I “got it”, but I did like the Flying Lotus song. It reminded me of DJ Shadow week as it has an eerie sound to it. I never thought I would say this, but I actually liked the Erykah Badu song quite a bit as well.

    Just this morning, Beth and I were watching the 100 Greatest Artists of all time on VH1 or something. One of the people they continuously got comments from was Janelle Monae. I was thinking, who the hell is this bitch with the crazy ass hair. Then I find her on your top album list and came to enjoy her track as well.
    I liked the MGMT song the least. I was 10+ minutes of chaos and confusion for me.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep discussion civil. We reserve the right to remove obscene or otherwise inappropriate comments.