9.06.2009

The first album wasn't what I remembered...

So we got a bit of a jump listening to the first, self-titled *NSYNC album. Here are some thoughts.

I liked it much more back then - probably because I was a boy-crazy, pop-lovin' teenager. (And because I saw this show live, and these guys know how to entertain - there's no denying that.) I mean, I still like the album, especially the radio hits - "Tearin' Up My Heart," "God Must Have Spent," "I Want You Back" and "I Drive Myself Crazy" - all of which I still LOVE. It just seems like those songs were manufactured for the radio while the others were just thrown together in a haphazard fashion. Knowing what I know about that industry, I can safely say I'm not far off with that estimation.

I can't really describe the feeling I'm getting listening to the other tracks, a feeling I don't remember having the first time around... they have a beat, and all the harmonizing I like, but the sound is kind of... darker, for lack of a better word. It might have something to do with the sound quality, but everything seems so... far away. Hard to connect with. I myself prefer something a little more upbeat, but I think this sound must have been pretty standard for '90s pop - take a listen to Ace of Base's "All That She Wants" to see what I mean.


Notice pretty much ALL of the tracks are about love. You can tell who their target audience was. This is not to say they stop singing about love or that they ever hit any hard topics throughout the course of their popularity, just an observation about this album in particular.

One strong point of this album is a beautiful remake of "Sailing" by Christopher Cross (I think that's the original anyway.)


Mostly I like this album because of its nostalgic quality, and I don't expect David, Justin or Beth to like it all that much, but I hope they give it a chance.

2 comments:

  1. Thomas and I listened to the first cd as well yesterday. I do agree with you in the fact that the songs released for the radio are much better than most any of the other songs on the cd. However when we got to the end and I heard the song, "Sailing" it was kind of nice/weird to hear NSync singing an old song like that. It did not seem like it belonged on the disc. Thomas and I also both agreed that the song, " I need love" is the worst song on the album. Very corny and did not appeal to us at all. My favorite song on the disc is, " Tearing up my heart" it is always a fun song to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'd have to agree with you on that being the worst song. The last song, "Giddy Up," is pretty bad but I still like it. Haha, it's fun.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep discussion civil. We reserve the right to remove obscene or otherwise inappropriate comments.