5.19.2011

"Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever" - Explosions in the Sky (2001)

While in Cincinnati for the birth of my niece, Thomas and I went record store hopping and I threw in an album from the group This Will Destroy You. I told him they were a post-rock instrumental group and that if he liked them, he should check out Explosions in the Sky. Thomas liked what he heard, so I wanted to make sure I got around to sharing this incredible album with the rest of you.

Released a mere week before 9/11, the album art is a bit unsettling. Especially, when you look inside the liner notes and there is a picture of an airplane with the caption underneath saying "This Plane Will Crash Tomorrow". It is an extremely unfortunate coincidence, but if you listen to this album keeping in mind the events that happened on that horrible day it makes for an overwhelming soundtrack.

Hailing from Texas, EITS say so much with their music without ever speaking a word. Their albums are compositions, not just individual tracks that are cleverly sequenced. With 3 guitars and a drum kit, they build these swelling and crashing pieces that can be euphoric, sublime and reflective. There are only 6 tracks on this album as the songs are quite lengthy, but the length is necessary in telling the story. I was interested to find out if this music speaks to any of you; I've heard people say it is boring and repetitive. I picked this one because it is my favorite and I recently purchased it on vinyl. They will be the final band I see perform at Bonnaroo this year, and I can't think of a more beautiful way to watch the sun go down in Tennessee.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see these guys! I will have to check this out. Sorry for my absence as of late. I'm off after tomorrow so I hopefully can do some more research finally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update: I listened to this whilst working this week. It's so hard for me to get into instrumentals when I've got sh*t going on, but at the farm I'm going to lay my head back and just plain enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep discussion civil. We reserve the right to remove obscene or otherwise inappropriate comments.