6.04.2011

Beastie Boys Week


Due to the recent release of Hot Sauce Committee part 2, I spent the last glorious week reviewing the Beastie Boys' entire body of work. Although I loved this group prior to this week, after going through their albums, I fell even more in love with them. They have an amazing ability to create new sounds, while staying current and true to themselves. In addition, they have a sound which is so unique that no other artist comes close. Their rhymes and beats are fresh and are never repeated from prior works.

Though the 2011 release was outstanding, I still had a very hard time deciding whether License to Ill, Check Your Head, or To the 5 Boroughs was my favorite. I am leaning towards To the 5 Boroughs based on the depth and quality of every track. In addition, I am leaning towards Mike D as my favorite MC.

Again, HSC pII was outstanding. It was such a breath of fresh air from anything that came out in 2010 and I truly like every single track. The beats are very catchy including some rather heavy ones via guitar. The two tracks with featured artists were not half bad either, notably the Nas track. If you haven't picked this up yet, I hope you at least give it some consideration as you are truly missing out on yet another masterpiece from the trio.

1 comment:

  1. I never got into the Beastie Boys all that much. Of course, there's the classic singles everyone knows, and then I went through a Hello Nasty phase in high school... hell, David and I even decided to sleep through them at Bonnaroo just so we could get a nap in before Girl Talk at 3 a.m. on Friday in 2009. (Although I did hear "Intergalactic" walking to the campsite from Centeroo and danced the rest of the way...). Maybe I'll have to give them another go...

    ReplyDelete

Please keep discussion civil. We reserve the right to remove obscene or otherwise inappropriate comments.