1.13.2014

5-2) M83


After last week's psychedelic chill, I decided to bring the party back to Music Togetherness by choosing M83 as my returning artist.

I won't say much, other than their sound is a little dark, but at times can be very uplifting, especially the first few tracks on 2011's "Hurry Up We're Dreaming" - which is what I'm asking you to check out. It's a two-disc album, so we'll leave it at that. for "required listening."

David and I saw M83 at The Pageant that year and they pretty much brought the house down in one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I also enjoy running to "Intro" and especially "Reunion," if you're into that sort of thing, and both have been on my Currently Spinning playlist for more than a year. You already know "Midnight City" if you're familiar with car commercials.

Truthfully, I haven't heard much of their other music, so I will probably look deeper into their catalog this week. You don't have to, but if you decide you like them, feel free to listen on with me.

Oh yeah, and this video is super creepy. 


2 comments:

  1. I listened to to the two discs three times, and was prepared to discuss how calm and relaxing this was. Then I reread Laura's write up and was blown away this was considered party music. On both discs, half of the songs are trippy interludes, a quarter of the songs are very slow intro/outros, and the other quarter are upbeat.

    On disc 1, after the first three tracks, the rest pretty much run together for me. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but seriously all I can think of when I hear the EH EH OH OH OH O OHs is the Pure Moods Indian chant (Enigma's Return to Innocence'). I get that it is their thing and it is intended to create an 'epic vibe' which appears to come through to a vast majority of its listeners based on listener reviews. But I can't help but get distracted and laugh.

    Overall Disc 2 by far outperformed disc 1. Yeah Disc 1 has 'Midnight City', but they have the 'radio hit as track 1' (I know it is track 2, but I am not counting the intro') syndrome going on. The interludes were trippy and continued last week's theme. 'Klaus I Love' you was my favorite of this variety. My other favorites were 'Ok Pal' and 'Steve McQueen'.

    Overall, it appears they were going for an overall experience for their listeners. It did not come through for me as it was more of a daydream-wake up-daydream-wake up cycle. However, I was able to walk away with several singles to add to my Music Togetherness playlist. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To avoid redundancy I'll just post the link from my Favorite Albums from 2011 from here on the blog. I love this album!

    http://musictogetherness.blogspot.com/search/label/Justin%27s%20Favorites

    ReplyDelete

Please keep discussion civil. We reserve the right to remove obscene or otherwise inappropriate comments.